"'Education is the Science of Relations'; that is, that a child has natural relations with a vast number of things and thoughts: so we train him upon physical exercises, nature lore, handicrafts, science and art, and upon many living books, for we know that our business is not to teach him all about anything, but to help him to make valid as many as may be of––
'Those first-born affinities,
That fit our new existence to existing things.'"

Charlotte Mason, A Philosophy of Education
with a quote from The Prelude by William Wordsworth

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Update on Ds#1 and Starting Science

Yesterday Ds#1 had his EEG. The weather was miserable, with sleet and freezing rain. After Dh took the day off, and keeping Ds#1 up until midnight and waking him at 4 am (EEGs are done while sleep-deprived) nothing was going to keep us from this appointment.

He did well with the whole thing. It took a bit of time to measure, mark, clean, and attach the 24 electrodes. He had to close and open his eyes, breath fast, and have a strobe light flash over his closed eyes. He squirmed quite a bit because that is his nature, yet the technician said she got good readings. No news is good news and today I did not hear from my pediatrician.

I decided to start science today only because it's easier for me to wing that than Native American History. You can read more about Blood and Guts and The Body Book over on AtHomeScience. We read about the skin while I hitched up the scanner and scanned in the skin model from The Body Book.

Before the term started I ripped out every page from the binding, trimmed the edges, and put each page into a sheet protector. This makes them so much easier to photocopy (the book instructs you to make a copy of the models for each student.) Now I have a nice PDF file of the skin model sheets to print as I need them. Eventually I will have them all scanned for my personal use.

No comments: