"'Education is the Science of Relations'; that is, that a child has natural relations with a vast number of things and thoughts: so we train him upon physical exercises, nature lore, handicrafts, science and art, and upon many living books, for we know that our business is not to teach him all about anything, but to help him to make valid as many as may be of––
'Those first-born affinities,
That fit our new existence to existing things.'"

Charlotte Mason, A Philosophy of Education
with a quote from The Prelude by William Wordsworth

Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to school

I was not ready to start back today--I have not finished planning my Native Americans unit, nor even my Human Body unit. Between the power outage, Christmas, working extra shifts, and the craziness on New Year's Day, I am not prepared. But I trust in the Lord, and the day went well.

I followed the schedule we've been using, so we read Faith and Life, did PLL and ILL, then MEP. We read tales in the Eric Carle book.


Our Monday block time is set aside for Math or Language Arts. Ds#1 and Ds#2 did a few Mad Libs together while I read with Ds#3. Next I grabbed the magnetic word board I picked up at the beginning of the year. Ds#2 made sentences and then we put the words into the appropriate part-of-speech block. Ds#1 liked making silly sentences.

Tuesday is co-op an the dissection supplies have not arrived yet. What to do?

No comments: