"'Education is the Science of Relations'; that is, that a child has natural relations with a vast number of things and thoughts: so we train him upon physical exercises, nature lore, handicrafts, science and art, and upon many living books, for we know that our business is not to teach him all about anything, but to help him to make valid as many as may be of––
'Those first-born affinities,
That fit our new existence to existing things.'"

Charlotte Mason, A Philosophy of Education
with a quote from The Prelude by William Wordsworth

Monday, January 26, 2009

Grammar-land

Today the boys finished ILL and PLL early so I started reading from Grammar Land by M. L. Nesbitt. The book is in the public domain so if you live in the US you can download it free from Google Books. I printed and comb bound it at home (listed as Home bound in my LibraryThing, lol!)

The boys really enjoyed Chapter 1. Judge Grammar divided his kingdom amongst 9 different Parts of Speech, and they are quarrelling over some words about where they belong. So Judge Grammar, with his assistants Serjeant Parsing and Dr. Syntax, have summoned his parts of speech to present their cases to him. First up is noun, but that is chapter 2.

Parsing a sentence...now I have not heard that term in a really long time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that does look like fun! I love story learning. It just makes me happy. Almost as happy as ice cream...but not quite.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful read! I added it to my library for further research on it. Boy is it pricey to buy in book form! I like your idea better! ;) Thank you for this!

Kris said...

When I tried to see if I could get an old used copy of this book, the price stared at $50, and a new paperback is around $16. Unfortunately if you live outside the US you cannot download books from Google.

Dana Leeds said...

What a great looking book! I think we're going to have to print it out and bind it, too.

I'm enjoying browsing your blog!

Barb said...

Great resource....making a bookmark for future reference.

Thanks,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Unknown said...

I have this book in PDF and my daughter really loved it! It was a great read aloud for teaching parts of speech.