"'Education is the Science of Relations'; that is, that a child has natural relations with a vast number of things and thoughts: so we train him upon physical exercises, nature lore, handicrafts, science and art, and upon many living books, for we know that our business is not to teach him all about anything, but to help him to make valid as many as may be of––
'Those first-born affinities,
That fit our new existence to existing things.'"

Charlotte Mason, A Philosophy of Education
with a quote from The Prelude by William Wordsworth

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lapbooks--finally, I get it!

Lapbooks have always intrigued me but I never planned far enough ahead to have a lapbook laid out, and we are just not at the stage yet for taking good notes. I could not imagine how these moms did these lapbooks with young kids.

Seasoned lapbookers, are you scratching your head at my comments?

This may seem simple and obvious but I just didn't get it until this week, when I had my a-ha moment.

I realized that you could read a chapter or a section, make a mini-book about that information, and then attach it onto the lapbook; if you run out of space, you can just add an extension.

We started with our book on ancient Greece, and the kids loved it! Not only that, they learned the information better because they created mini-books about it. It's a great introduction to note-taking for elementary kids.

If you want to know more about lapbooking, see this Sqidoo lens or this blog, both by Jimmie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurray! This is looking like a fabulous start to a couple colorful lapbooks. I know a lot of moms use preprinted pieces to add to their children's lapbooks. I've done it myself for a couple things as it does make it easier with ounger ones. BUT I prefer all hand done foldables. I like to see the writing of our children no matter how messy it can get at times, it is a true representation of their own work and they can really take ownership at that point. I love to look back at these and I think our children do too.
OK, off my soapbox. I can't wait to see your lapbooks when they are finished!
Love,
Cheryl